Built in 1820, Winchester House on Southwark Bridge Road was home and workplace to London's chief fire officers between 1878 and 1937.
This building now houses one of the most comprehensive collections of firefighting equipment and memorabilia in the country.
Exhibits range from early leather helmets to recently replace breathing apparatus, illustrating the history of firefighting in London since the Great Fire of London in 1666 through to modern times.
Part of the collection is housed in the appliance room - once part of the original Southwark Fire Station dating back to 1870.
© 2000 - 2019 — local.angle group, All rights reserved.lightweight